Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nashville Flooding




I am blessed to live in the Middle Tennessee area - but as I'm sure many of you have heard - this area was hit by some severe flooding. The damage for Nashville and the surrounding areas is reaching the $2 Billion mark and growing. The total cost hasn't been known yet - and probably will never be known. Middle Tennessee has taken it on themselves to fix things and really risen to the need. However, a lot of folks have lost everything. FEMA helps some, not others. Some have insurance - but many didn't as they had no clue that a 500 year flood would hit them. By the Grace of God - I sat high and dry - only a nice little cascading waterfall down the back steps of my sidewalk.

Here's a few links to pictures and a pretty touching You-Tube song that was written by a local song writer.

Pictures:

Video:


I've been wondering what I could do to help people. Like everyone - money's a little tight, I've got limited home-fixing skills, etc. My wife has an acquaintance who was totally wiped out and we have decided to help them out - at least one person. Here are some pictures of what has happened to them - post flood. They are most likely going to have to demolish and tear down. They have some limited insurance coverage - but what you'll see below shows how well that's working out.

Pictures:


Here is the latest twist in their story:

The insurance company did send an advance payment to us for the cleanup and certified mold mitigation. They made the check payable to me and the bank. So the bank has decided that they want all of it to go towards my mortgage ( their interest in the loan). So I cannot cash it to pay the contractors for their work. The insurance company doesn't get, we don't and neither does my attorney. It is a small amount in the big picture of the actual loan. AHH!

So they are getting hit all over the place. What I've decided to do - and what I'm going to reach out to the greater Gamer community, is to paint up several models to the best of my ability, auction them on ebay, and donate the money to my church. Our church has agreed to match all donations up to at least $1k - maybe more. I am also going to pursue setting up a 40K tournament with the proceeds going to support them.

So...my fellow gamers....my challenge and request to you. Do the same thing I'm doing. Auction something that you paint or already have painted, and donate the proceeds. If you are interested, my email is Alglea@comcast.net. I can get you in touch with how to donate to our church. It's tax deductible and I guarantee it will go 100% to the family to help them - matched by the church (at least up to $1K). I would only hope that people would do something similar for us if we had the same kind of problem.

Join me!

No comments: