Thursday, July 28, 2011

Using Mordrak and the Ghost Knights







First I would like to thank Al for adding me to his talented roster of writers. I first ran into Al and his crew at the Big Waagh a few years ago. I lost overall to another author Brian Crew (even though I beat him and all the other BNB guys I played). We kept in touch over the years and I just fit into their group. And when they couldn't find anyone else they let me play with them in the ATC.
Enough about that stuff, I would like to talk about my recent experiences with Grey Knights. Like everyone else when the codex dropped I couldn't wait to see it. All plastic models with some gorgeous ones to boot, I really wanted a GK army to replace my old metal one. However what to play. I really don't like playing net lists. I also don't like having an army that is the same as everyone else's. I am not saying I am not competitive and don't want to win by any means, I just like to be a little different. So I looked and saw a ton of purifier spam lits, nope don't want to go that way. I thought about Draigo and termies (especially since I am a big Deathwing fan) but they all of sudden exploded in our area. Well what could I do that would be a little different? I picked out Mordrak and his Ghost Knights.
The list I have been running at 1500 points is:
HQ: Grand Master Mordrak and 3 Ghost Knights w/halberds
HQ: Librarian w/sword, teleport homer 2 servo skulls, might, warp rift, sanctuary and shrouding
TR: Terminator Squad (5) 1 x Hammer, 4 x Halberd, Psycannon
TR: Strike Squad (10) 1 x Hammer, 7 x Swords, 2 x Psycannon
FA: Storm Raven w/TLLC and TLMM
HS: Dread Knight w/Heavy Incinerator & Great Sword
HS: Dreadnought w/2 X TLAC & Psybolt Ammo

At 1850 I have been running:
HQ: Grand Master Mordrak and 3 Ghost Knights w/halberds
HQ: Librarian w/sword, teleport homer 1 servo skull, might, warp rift, sanctuary and shrouding
TR: Terminator Squad (10) 2 x Hammer, 8 x Halberd, 2 x Psycannon
TR: Strike Squad 1 x Hammer, 7 x Swords, 2 x Psycannon Psybolt Ammo
FA: Storm Raven w/TLLC and TLMM
HS: Dread Knight w/Heavy Incinerator, Great Sword & Personal Teleporter
HS: Dreadnought w/2 X TLAC & Psybolt Ammo

So far I have been pleases with the results. I won a small 24 man event at 1500 points beating Venom Spam DE, Mechdar and Razor and Predator Spam Blood Angels. (I have posted battle reports on both AWC and BnB) At 1850 I think I have only lost 1 out of 4 games since I have got enough built to play.
I have built this army to mainly as a reserve army. If I win the roll I usually make the opponent go first. This way I can decide if I want to use Mordrak's special rule or not. For those of you unfamiliar with him he has a rule that if you choose to deep strike him he and any unit joined to him comes in first turn and does not deviate. The libby is usually attached to him and the ghost knights. The libby has warp rift which is basically jaws in template form with auto pens on vehicles. If he gives me a nice target which I can reach with out getting crushed by the rest of the army I will deep strike them in to put pressure on his army. With Mordraks ability to generate more ghost knights with the wounds he takes and the ghost knight stealth rule and the libbys shrouding power often I am in cover with a 2+/2+ save with my opponent rolling dificult and dangerous terrain to assault me. Also another rule of Mordrak is that as long as their are ghost knights he does not count as an independent character so he cannot be snipes in combat.
Often times this is a tough nut for my opponent to crack and results in a few of the knights and the characters still being around. Then in the start of my second turn I can bring in my reserves in using Mordrak's grand strategy and the libby's teleport homer. I can deep strike everything attaching the dread to the back of the Raven if need be.
If I have to go second usually I will reserve everything and put Mordrak and the boys in the Raven. That way I can usually with one roll get the Mordrak's Group the Raven and the dread. Would love to hear your thoughts/comments on the lists.
Thanks
Greg

3 comments:

Aldonis said...

Interesting list - I looked at Mordrak and had the same type of thoughts.

Seems like it's a bit of the all or nothing though. Do you have problems getting over extended and getting cut up piece by piece?

swanson4969 said...

Usually no problem because I tend to have my reserves clump together and can usually focus my force on one part of the enemy's battle line

Bikeninja said...

I like the list as well. Mine is not the cookie cutter either but I am using Draigo. Love the model.

I am hoping to play soon and test it. I am running two StormRavens. Seeing yours survive alot made me take two instead of one and a Land Raider.