Tuesday, April 10, 2012

AWC Invitational - There can be only one


All right on March 31st we held the Adeptus Windy City Invitational. For those of you unfamiliar with this it is a 16 person 4 round win/loss tournament we hold before Adepticon to crown a champion for the AWC series. The AWC series is our monthly tournaments we hold at the Chicago Battle Bunker. Each month we hold a tournament at the bunker with the points values from 1500 to 2000 points. We usually have anywhere form 24 to 32 players depending on table space. We also allow the person running the tournament to set up the scenarios. We run the gamut from Adepticon, to NOVA to ATC to Primary/Secondary/Tertiary missions with battle points.
During the season an overall standings is kept on the AWC forums. The 1st place finisher is awarded 24 points, the second is awarded 23 and so on. If we have more than 24 anyone else is awarded one point. There are four winners in each tourney. Overall, best general, best painted and best sportsman. Best overall gets +2 points while the other category winners get +1 bonus points. There were 11 tournaments in total. Your top six count for the standings. You can play in more than six but only your top 6 count. Also each monthly organizer gets awarded points for that month equal to the average of his top 3 scores. This encourages people to help run tourneys. There is a lead organizer every year. The first year Chris Hill and I ran the series. We he was hired by GW last year I became the lead organizer. This year I began as the lead but Mitch Tucker took over when my wife fell ill and required more heart surgeries.
This year I was able to play in 4 tourneys and run one. Of the four I took one overall and one best general. I finished 7th on the points list. With only 5 scores I was very happy to be in the top ten. Going into the Invitational I was seeded 6th as one person above me could not make it due to work schedule.
I decided to take my Mordrak Grey Knight list. The list is:
Mordrak and 3 Ghost Knights w/Halberds
Librarian w/Teleport Homer, Might, Shrouding, Sanctuary and Rift
6 Purifiers 1 Hammer, 3 Halberds, 2 Psycannons in a Rhino
Venerable Dread w/AC & SB and Psybolt Ammo
5 Terminators w/4 Halberds, 1 Hammer and Psycannon
10 Strikes 2 Psycannons
10 Interceptors 2 Psycannons, Hammer
Storm Raven w/TLLC & TLMM
After playing a couple of practice games and discussing it with a friend of mine Fred Fortman who was unable to attend the Invitational I dropped the dread knight and a few things and added the purifiers and the ven dread. The dread knight hadn't been pulling its weight, especially with all the DE and other GKs. Plus the top seeded player Alan Bajramovic plays horde orks (as a matter of fact he is taking them to the ETC) and the road to the title would run through him. My only concern was my lack of long range firepower. This was to come back to haunt me in the later rounds. Anyway I went 2-2. I won the first two rounds beating Brian Carlson's Dark Eldar and Mitch Tucker's Eldar in the first two rounds. I lost to eventual champion Jordan Nach's IG in the semis and dropped a super close hard fought loss to Alan's ork in the third place game. All in all 4 great games against great opponents. I will be posting my battle reports in the coming days.

No comments: